Here is a brief summary of the decisions of Rocky View County Council at the September 22, 2020 Council Meeting. This is a general overview of decisions only. Details of the agenda items can be found in the meeting’s agenda and details on the specifics of the decisions can be found in the minutes of this meeting, both on the Meetings & Hearings page. Details are also available by contacting the County’s Municipal Clerk’s Office.
- On behalf of Council, Reeve Greg Boehlke congratulated County resident Chelsea Luft as a 2020 Rural Municipalities Scholarship recipient. The Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA) established the Scholarship Program in 1995 to recognize the importance of an educated population to the future well-being of rural communities, and is designed to encourage young rural Albertans to pursue further education and to contribute to their communities. Chelsea was the successful RMA District 2 applicant.
- Council approved the submission of a resolution to the Rural Municipalities of Alberta, proposing the creation of a simplified, intermediary process to resolve disputes regarding Council sanctions and disqualifications by Municipal Affairs, as an alternative to referring matters directly to the Court of Queen’s Bench.
- Council approved the cancellation of $574.48 in municipal tax levies for Tax Roll # 05214014 and 05214030 as per Policy C-703 that considers property tax cancellation requests made by not for profit, community-based organizations.
- Council approved review of the existing Conceptual Scheme Cost Recovery Policy to include Area Structure Plan cost recovery for County-led and Developer-led Area Structure Plans and to bring the revised Policy back to Council for consideration by the end of 2020.
- Council approved a budget adjustment of $560,000 for additional pavement preservation funds transferred from the Transportation Levy to support outstanding repairs to the end of December.
- Council approved entering into a cost contributing agreement with the Greater Bragg Creek Trails Association to include the addition of a pedestrian component to the road bridge replacement project, subject to Council’s approval of the 2021 Rocky View County Budget.
- Council received, for information, an update on the 2020 Council Priorities and Significant Issues list, including all active, ongoing and pending priorities and initiatives to assist council on the status of business items.
- Council approved first reading of borrowing Bylaw C-08083-2020 to fund water coop upgrades in the Prince of Peace – Village. Administration is also directed to send the Local Improvement Plan to all properties included in the plan area.
Planning and Development
- Division 4 – File: PL20190162 (03323005), Bylaw C-7969-2019, Redesignation Item: Agricultural, Small Parcel District to Business, Live-Work District in order to facilitate a business for garbage bins and fencing materials storage. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 4 – File: PL20190161 (03323014), Bylaw C-7970-2019, Redesignation Item: Agricultural, Small Parcel District to Business, Live-Work District in order to facilitate a trucking business. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 9 – File: PL20190188 (08903001), Bylaw C-8023-2020, Redesignation Item: Agricultural, General District to Agricultural, Small Parcel District to accommodate the creation of one new 20 acre lot. Considered under the County Plan. Approved.
- Division 5 – File: PL20190131 (03332014/03332017), Bylaw C-7977-2020: Council tabled a motion regarding this application to allow the Canna Park Conceptual Scheme to be revised in accordance with the requirements of the Janet Area Structure Plan and the County Plan. Council directed Administration to circulate a new public hearing in accordance with the Municipal Government Act and County procedures.
- Council moved into a closed session to consider the confidential item “Langdon Joint Use Agreement” under Section 21, 23 and 24 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). Council moved back into the public session, and directed Administration to enter into the “Joint Use Facilities Agreement for the Langdon High School” with Rocky View Schools and to source any funding to support the agreement from the Langdon Special Tax Rate program.